These mushrooms were made as an appetizer for my family by using leftover wild rice from the previous day. The pecorino romano adds a little saltiness to the wild rice, while the hazelnuts act similarly to panko breadcrumbs in adding crunchiness to these soft mushrooms. The final hit of balsamic glaze brings a nice finish to this appetizer!
3/4 cup cooked wild rice
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
1/8 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup shredded pecorino romano
1/4 cup cilantro
10 large mushrooms
Trader Joe’s Balsamic Glaze
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Clean the mushrooms with a wet paper towel. Scoop out the centers and brush each with olive oil.
3. Mix the rice, vinegar, pecorino romano, and sliced garlic in a small bowl.
4. Place this mixture inside each mushroom, depending on how big each mushroom is. Leave a little room at the top.
5. Sprinkle shredded coconut and chopped hazelnuts into each mushroom.
6. Top each with a washed cilantro and pecorino romano. Drizzle a little more olive oil on top of each one.
7. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remove from oven and top with balsamic glaze (optional).